The dress is made from a rayon remnant that I found at a flea market. The whole shaping over the bust is made with three tucks from the shoulder and two from the waist. I made the pattern myself, but there are several examples of this method in 1940s patterns, such as this one: Advance 2423 from ca 1940.
Image from Vintage Patterns Wiki
As you can see I chose to make the bodice on the bias, which made it a total pain to sew the zipper in the side. It still puckers slightly, but I just pretend that it's hidden under my arm :) The sleeves are also on the bias and are taken from Simplicity 3689 and the skirt is just a standard four gore skirt.
In the first photo I'm wearing it with a jumper knitted from a pattern from 1937: "Concentrate on the shoulders" from the excellent and very inspiring book A stitch in time. Vintage knitting & crochet patterns 1920-1949 by Jane Waller and Susan Crawford. Susan Crawford blog is called "Just call me Ruby" and here you find lots of interesting stuff about vintage knitting. There is also a volume two of A stitch in time, from which I made a couple of jumpers too - like this one, where I switched the original fair isle pattern for a Dr Who-themed one.
The chart for the Daleks, Cybermen, Tardises and sonic screwdrivers are made by Amy Schilling and can be found on Ravelry.